Ahh, Laziness

I set up enough automation to keep the system running over a long weekend, and everything survived happily.  I still don't keep the chiller on when I'm not in the house and awake, but everything else was going.  The fish were eating happily and I haven't touched the tank all day.  I even went to a couple local fish stores and didn't buy anything.  That is so wrong, but it's a sign of the system becoming stable!

Hah, I must be dreaming.

1.)  I haven't nailed down my dosing period system yet.  I was stable on alkalinity, but off on the calcium.  I noticed that the alk. dosing hose was getting clogged at the output.  I need to figure that out.  It seem that it may be water splashing on the tube that's causing the alk. sol'n. to solidify.

2.)  My lighting is insufficient for the Cheatomorpha in the sump to grow or be an effective tool for cutting down on nuisance algae.  It may be that a very small MH lamp (like a 150W clip-on) with a 6500K bulb will do the trick for the sump.



3.) There are still too few snails, however an update to fix #2 may clear some of the nuisance algae up.

4.) Grape Calupera!  Yes, I have some, so I'll try an Emerald Mythrax crab and a long-spined sea-urchin to take care of those.  I'm also considering an orange-spotted rabbit fish.  I've had them before and they can be beautiful and effective algae eaters.

5.) Chiller; I need this thing to run all the time.  A better chiller pump, a flow switch and manual reset relay will be incorporated to keep this thousand dollar device safe and my coral happy.

Just imagine; most new reef aquarium owners have no idea what problems they are experiencing.  Please, make my problems your own!

0 comments:

Post a Comment