A Tale of Three Pumps

Circulation Pumps, Dosing Pumps, Chiller Pumps

We've got some new equipment coming in this week.  First, I ordered two Koralia Magnum 8's from Marine Depot.  I've been gaining interest in these for about a month now when I noticed that the Koralia "Evo" pumps have many of the features already present in the Magnums.  These are 3000 gallon per hour+ pumps that I have seen in a tank where they've been running on a wavemaker for 6-months straight with no problem.  Go Hydor!  And, they were on sale, 20% off!  Yep, I got both of these pumps for the price of one controllable Magnum 8 and I can buy a less expensive wavemaker than the Koralia 4-way that supports Magnum 8s.  Sure, I understand that DC pumps have can be run at partial power, but I can't overlook the fact that these pumps + a wavemaker cost 1/3 what a full on DC controllable system would.

So, I also ordered the Recipe 1 two part kit from Bulk Reef Supply.  I have a Spectrapure Litermeter III  and 1 extra pump that was purchased just to dose this system.

I haven't figured out which pump to use to run water through the chiller.  The Teco TR20 is a slick little chiller that is very quiet.  I guess if you're not running a couple of Iwaki external pumps, it might add some noise to your system, but I can't even tell when its on with mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment