Blasting Sand

I plan on adding a sand bed to the aquarium. The bare bottom aquarium is missing the contrast and brightness found in an aquarium with a sand bed. I have kept deep sand beds in the past (sand beds over 6" deep meant to improve biological filtration). I have lower nutrients (which is a good thing) in my well fed bare bottom tank than I've ever had in my DSB tanks. I have always used Aragonite as my substrate. Aragonite is a calcium based substrate similar to (if not directly from) the substrate in a reef environment, but I've never been able to keep what I'd call a "clean" sandbed.

Keeping a clean sandbed has always been a difficulty for me. I'm hoping the shallow sand bed that I plan will make that a more simple process. I plan on using the CaribSea "Super Reef" substrate. It has a combination of features that make it likely to support the livestock necessary to keep the substrate clean.  CaribSea claims that it supports burrowers and sifters.  These are the types of animals that will help keep the sand clean and well churned.

Some of the sand bed caretakers that I've had in the past include the following.

* Diamond Goby
* Brittle Stars
* Nassarius Snails

I do look forward to seeing what other livestock I may find to help keep my shallow sand bed clean.  Now if I can just keep it from blowing around with the two Koralia Magnum 8's I put in a few weeks ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment